Welcome to rasdaman -- the World's Leading Array Database
This is the website of the rasdaman ("raster data manager") open-source project. Rasdaman is a domain-neutral Array Database System: it extends standard relational database systems with the ability to store and retrieve multi-dimensional raster data ( arrays) of unlimited size through an SQL-style query language. In fact, rasdaman has pioneered Array Databases being the first fully implemented, operationally used system with an array query language and optimized processing engine.
On such sensor, image, simulation, and statistics data appearing, e.g., in earth, space, and life science applications rasdaman allows to quickly set up array-intensive services which are distinguished by their flexibility, speed, and scalability. Rasdaman embeds itself smoothly into PostgreSQL.
Next-Generation Geo Raster Server. Rasdaman is brought to you by the guys writing the geo raster standards, including OGC WCS and WCPS, the OGC raster query language. The Petascope component of rasdaman provides service interfaces based on the OGC WCS, WCPS, WCS-T, and WPS. For several of these, rasdaman will be reference implementation. Since April 2011, rasdaman is available on the OSGeo Live DVD (a short get started guide). A GDAL rasdaman driver is available, and likewise a MapServer integration (beta). A PostGIS query language integration is under work, see our planning. In comparison to PostGIS Raster, rasdaman scales and supports n-D instead of 2-D and automatizes tile management.
- March 2014 -- version 9.0.1 has been released improving some issues observed during large-scale migration (release notes).
- February 23, 2014 -- rasdaman 9.0 has been officially released, see full release notes.
- January 2014 -- several more specifications crafted by the rasdaman team get adopted as official standards: WCS Scaling Extension, WCS Interpolation Extension, WCS Earth Observation Application Profile.
- December 16, 2013 -- the WCS Range Subsetting Extension, crafted by the rasdaman team, gets adopted as official OGC standard.
- December 06, 2013 -- rasdaman is OGC's official Reference Implementation for WCS Core:
- April 11, 2013 -- rasdaman PI Peter Baumann gives keynote lecture "Data, Metadata - Who Cares?" at EGU General Assembly, Vienna
- January 07, 2013 -- rasdaman becomes GEOSS component
- more news...
Download, Installation, Documentation
Go to the Download page for instructions. The installation steps are described on the Install page. There is ample documentation, including query and programming examples (check out our tutorial on spatio-temporal data with rasdaman too).
The Large-Scale Scientific Information Services research group at Jacobs University Bremen is the core development team. Feel free to contact us!
A dedicated research spin-off company, rasdaman GmbH, provides software enhancements, expert consultancy, participation in projects, and joint ventures on a commercial basis to foster widespread use of rasdaman.
See also the support page.
Interested in the scientific background? There is a host of publications available.
PS: Greetings to all rastafarians! wha'ppen, man?
(124.8 KB) -
added by pbaumann 5 years ago.
applications done with rasdaman: map navigation, satellite image time series, climate data, astrophysics, fluid dynamics, human brain imaging, gene expression analysis
(12.0 KB) -
added by pbaumann 2 years ago.
rasdaman rating by ohloh
(535.7 KB) -
added by pbaumann 18 months ago.
Earth, Space, Life science services...and beyond - with the Array Analytics Server, rasdaman.
(25.3 KB) -
added by pbaumann 8 months ago.
OGC listing of rasdaman as WCS Core Reference Implementation